📷 Miamisburg Mystery Solved
This photograph was tucked inside the Maier–Merkle Family Bible, passed down from my great-great-grandmother, Caroline Maier, known in family letters as Grandma Merkle.
It stood out immediately. Every other photo in the Bible had been taken in Württemberg, Germany, but this one bore a different imprint:
J. L. Clark, Photographer, Miamisburg, Ohio.
That clue was puzzling. Caroline and her husband, Karl Johannes Merkle, settled in Marion, Ohio after arriving from Württemberg in 1869. Miamisburg wasn’t particularly close, about 100 miles away, and none of their children or grandchildren ever lived there. So why was this photograph in her family Bible?
For a long time, I had no idea.
Curious about the era, I shared the photo on the Genealogy – Dating Old Photographs Facebook group. Members agreed it was likely taken in the late 1870s or early 1880s. That timing intrigued me, but it still didn’t explain the Miamisburg connection — until I began researching Caroline’s siblings.
That’s when the mystery began to clear.
I discovered that one of her brothers, Carl Ferdinand Maier, had also emigrated from Württemberg, arriving in the United States around 1879 or 1880. The 1900 census and his death records later placed him in Richmond, Indiana, but his first two children were born in the early 1880s in Miamisburg, Ohio.
Suddenly, it all made sense.
The photo in the family Bible wasn’t random at all. It was a portrait of Caroline’s brother, Carl Ferdinand Maier, likely taken soon after his arrival in America, a memento sent to his sister in Marion to mark his new beginning.
![]() |
| Ancestry photo dated approx 1900 Richmond, Indiana |
Years later, another photograph surfaced on Ancestry, taken about twenty years later, showing the same man, now older. When I compared the two images side by side, the resemblance was unmistakable: the same eyes, the same mustache.
The mystery of the Miamisburg photograph was finally solved.



Comments
Post a Comment